A Short Tour of Ljubljana Castle

/file/122314/pcmgvbtlwp.jpg

The entrance to the Ljubljana Castle

/file/122315/qxkgajwxfq.jpg

The Pentagonal tower

/file/122316/xsfkodhsbh.jpg

The Blue Hall

/file/122317/vmqogvcvmp.jpg

The castle building housing the Hribar Hall

/file/122318/hmonmxfxvu.jpg

The Chapel of St. George

/file/122319/cgztqwdrsq.jpg

The Outlook Tower

/file/122320/tjlzjvlfgv.jpg

An aerial view of the Šance rampart walkway

The present castle entrance came into use in the 18th and 19th centuries, when the castle served as a prison. It replaced the former entrance located beneath the Pipers' Tower (Stolp piskačev). In the 15th century and the centuries to follow the entrance was located in the Pentagonal Tower (Peterokotni stolp), which was built for defence purposes and is now used as an exhibition venue. The White and Blue Halls (Bela dvorana, Modra dvorana), which have presently been used for weddings, were added to the building in the 1980s. The Erasmus' Tower (Erazmov stolp) was built in the 15th century and is believed to have been used as a prison for noblemen. One of the coats of arms, which the prisoners carved into the tower walls, is believed to have belonged to the legendary outcast knight Erasmus of Predjama. The Hribar Hall (Hribarjeva dvorana), the largest hall in the castle, was named after Ivan Hribar, a famous mayor of Ljubljana, who purchased the castle for municipal purposes.

The Chapel of St. George (Kapela sv. Jurija) is one of the oldest preserved places in the castle. Built in the Gothic and rebuilt in the Baroque style, it is ornamented with fragments of decorative 15th century wall paintings as well as frescos representing the coats of arms of provincial governors and five Austrian rulers, which date from 1747. The castle's Outlook Tower (Razgledni stolp) stands in the place of the former Pipers' Tower, which was pulled down in 1813, during the French occupation. Afterwards a signal tower, the home of the castle guard, was built in its place. Offering the most beautiful view of Ljubljana and its surroundings, the Outlook Tower, which was in 1982 raised by 1.2 metres, now only serves as a tourist attraction.

The Palatium (Palacij) is the name of a renovated castle hall named after the former castle building used for receptions and feasts given by provincial governors. Next to the Palatium is the State Hall (Stanovska dvorana), which was most probably used for similar purposes. Located in the basement underneath the courtyard are a number of halls used as occasional exhibition venues. In the past, ramparts were connecting the Archers' Tower (Stolp strelcev) and the former fortress at the nearby Šance. The preserved part of the Šance ramparts were in the 1930s converted into an arched walk designed by architect Jože Plečnik. The course of the missing in-between part of the ramparts was marked by a tree-lined walk.

logotip turizma
 
Online booking
Ljubljana Card
Where else to go?