Šempetrska cerkev (Cerkev sv. Petra) / Šempeter Church (Church of St. Peter)

Address: Trubarjeva cesta 80, Ljubljana
Phone: +386 (0)1 231 79 65
Show on map

Location description

The Parish Church of St. Peter, the seat of the original parish of Ljubljana, is one of the most striking Baroque monuments situated on the edge of Ljubljana city centre. The earliest known written record of the existence of a church on its site dates back to 1262. Earlier evidence indicates that an early Slav cemetery was located in the church area. Later, in the Romanic period, a charnel house was built next to the original church, which is assumed to have been rebuilt in 1358 and burnt down by the Turks in 1472.

The present church, designed by the Baroque architect Giovanni Fusconi, was built between 1729 and 1733. Its façade, inspired by Venetian models, was completely redesigned by the architects Ivan and Helena Vurnik after World War II, while its interiors largely retain their original Baroque appearance despite having been rebuilt several times. Particularly worth seeing are the frescoes painted by the Ljubljana-based painter Franc Jelovšek in the early 1830s, the altar paintings by his contemporary Valentin Metzinger, and numerous tombstones.

logotip turizma
 
Online booking
Ljubljana Card
Where else to go?