The Turjak Castle

/file/119496/ntojwfutsx.jpg

Turjak Castle

Distance: 23 km
Direction: Ljubljana – Škofljica – Turjak

Turjak, a village located at the top of the long Turjak slope, is known for Turjak Castle (Turjaški grad), which was named after its owners, the Counts of Auersperg (Turjak in Slovenian). The first mention of the castle was in 1220. The earlier, original Turjak Castle was situated on a rocky prominence below the present castle. The most famous member of the Auersperg family was Count Andreas von Auersperg, who led the army which conquered the Turks by the Croatian town of Sisak in 1593. In memory of him, a knights' tournament has been organized annually in Turjak.

Turjak Castle was considerably damaged during World War II. The rebuilding, which started in the 1960s, has still been going on. The castle area was in 1988 proclaimed a cultural, historical and natural heritage site.

What is special about Turjak Castle are its round defence tower (bastille) and its triangular defence corridor. The latter originates from the Renaissance period and is one of the first of its kind in Central Europe. The parts of the castle originating from the Romance period include the tall building called Palatium and the Dalmatin Chapel with several partially preserved Gothic frescoes. The chapel was named after Jurij Dalmatin (1547-1589), who made the Slovenian translation of the Bible while hiding in the castle.

Turjak Castle was never surrounded by a park, but its surrounding area is criss-crossed with walking paths. Situated in the forest near the village is a walled graveyard with a chapel and the temple-shaped family vault of the Counts of Auersperg, where the heart of Count Hanno von Auersperg was buried in 1861, after he had fallen in action near the Italian city of Gaetta at the age of 23.
 
Information:

Turistično društvo Turjak (Turjak Tourist Society),
Turjak 17, Turjak,
tel. +386 (0)1 788 12 40

logotip turizma
 
Online booking
Ljubljana Card
Where else to go?