The Village of Črna vas and the Ljubljana Marshes

/file/119345/ivwjrvptmz.jpg

Ljubljana Marshes

/file/119346/hyrxligkcm.jpg

An aerial view of the Ljubljana Marshes

/file/119347/qmkmeohayn.jpg

The Church of St. Michael in the Marshes in the village of Črna vas, the Ljubljana Marshes' most important cultural sight

/file/119348/badpgtlzji.jpg

The stairway leading to the Church

/file/119349/bwologhnrf.jpg

The Church's originally designed belfry

Distance: 5-10 km
Direction: Ljubljana – Ilovica – Črna vas or
Ljubljana – Podpeč – Črna vas

The Ljubljana Marshes (Ljubljansko barje) are located in the southeastern part of the Ljubljana basin, between the villages of Škofljica, Ig, Podpeč and Borovnica, the town of Vrhnika, and the villages of Drenov Grič and Brezovica. They measure around 160 square kilometres. The area's numerous wetlands and peat bogs, which developed due to tectonic plate movement, faulting processes and alluvium deposits, provide home to many rare and interesting plant and animal species, particularly birds and other game.

The centre of the Ljubljana Marshes is the village of Črna vas ("Black Village"), named after the area's black soil. Located in the vicinity of the village is the Church of St. Michael (Cerkev sv. Mihaela), the Ljubljana Marshes' most beautiful architectural monument, built between 1937 and 1938 according to the plans of architect Jože Plečnik. Due to the low bearing capacity of the marsh soil, the church is supported by around 350 eight-metre long beams. Its interiors are decorated in a most original style reflecting Plečnik's refined feeling for folk architecture. Plečnik also provided several peculiarities, such as an altar shaped as a cupboard, a wall clock, etc.

The Ljubljana Marshes are also the site of the earliest traces of a settlement found on the territory of the present Ljubljana, which are believed to date back to the Middle Stone Age (around 5000 BC). The latest known lake dwelling is believed to have survived until the Bronze Age (around 1000 BC). The finds from the Ljubljana Marshes include more than 10,000 objects, which are now kept at various museums in Ljubljana and abroad. The most important find is the world's oldest wooden wheel, dating from 3350 to 3100 BC. It is still under restoration, so it is not on view yet.
     
Information:

Župnijski urad Ljubljana Barje (Ljubljana Marshes Parish Office), Črna vas 48, tel. +386 (0)1 427 22 18

logotip turizma
 
Online booking
Ljubljana Card
Where else to go?